You are here

Shell’s Malaysian wildcat finds gas reserves

17th April 2014

An exploratory well offshore Malaysia discovers natural gas reserves expands Shell's South East Asian portfolio

Shell’s Malaysian wildcat finds gas reserves
The well encountered more than 450 metres of gas column. With further exploration planned, the finding is a positive indicator of the gas potential in an area of strategic interest for Shell.

Shell today announced an exploration discovery offshore Malaysia. The successful ‘Rosmari-1’ well is located 135 kilometres offshore in Block SK318, and was drilled to a total depth of 2,123 metres.

The well encountered more than 450 metres of gas column. With further exploration planned, the finding is a positive indicator of the gas potential in an area of strategic interest for Shell.

“Rosmari-1 is a testament to our ability to successfully drill and build understanding of new geology within our existing exploration heartlands, adding value to our existing assets in Malaysia,” said Andy Brown, director of Shell Upstream International. “We are expanding and rejuvenating heartlands across our exploration portfolio, including in Brunei, Australia and the Gulf of Mexico.”

“This adds to Shell’s sequence of recent exploration successes in Malaysia, with these discoveries expanding the company’s heartlands positions,” said Iain Lo, chairman of Shell Malaysia. 

Block SK318 is Shell operated with an 85 per cent interest, with the remaining 15 per cent held by Petronas.

Got a news tip? Email news@oilandgastechnology.net