You are here

Petrobras installs intelligent well control system at record depths in GoM

30th July 2014

Petrobras has starting production at its Gulf of Mexico Cascade-6 well using an intelligent well system (IWS) to monitor and control the flow of oil at record subsea depths

Petrobras installs intelligent well control system at record depths in GoM
Both Cascade and Chinook fields feed the BW Pioneer FPSO

The total depth of the well is 8,200 metres – a world record for use of this type of device.

Petrobras started using electrical submersible pump (ESP) systems at the Cascade field to increase reservoir and well pressure in the first quarter of this year.

The latest installation was at subsea depths of 2,500 metres, representing a world depth record for the use of an ESP. The system appears to have worked effectively since installation.

Petrobras plans to install another such device in the Chinook field later this year.

Both Cascade and Chinook fields feed the BW Pioneer FPSO.

The Cascade and Chinook fields are located 24 kilometres apart, and about 418 kilometres south of the US coast.

Petrobras is the operator of both fields and holds a 100 per cent interest in the Cascade field and 66.7 per cent of the Chinook field with the remaining 33.3 per cent owned by Total E&P USA.

Got a news tip? Email news@oilandgastechnology.net