You are here

Pre-salt production breaks record

01st March 2013

Petrobras pre-salt production reaches 300,000 bpd

Pre-salt production breaks record
In February, average daily output reached 281,000 bpd, a 138 per cent increase against the same period last year

Pre-salt production reached a record 300,000 barrels per day (bpd) of oil on 20 February, Brazilian oil giant Petrobras said in a filing on Friday. Petrobras accounted for 83 per cent of the production, while the remainder corresponded to its partner companies.

The milestone was reached just seven years after oil was first discovered in the pre-salt layer in 2006, taking less time to reach than other major offshore production areas around the globe.

“It took 17 years after oil was first discovered to reach a production of 300,000 bpd in the US part of the Gulf of Mexico. It took 11 years in the Campos Basin and nine in the North Sea. Unlike these areas, the entire pre-salt oil production takes place in ultra-deep waters which makes this achievement even more remarkable,” Petrobras said in a press release.

The 300,000 bpd mark came from 17 wells, which Petrobras says is a testament to the pre-salt’s high output. Six wells in the Santos Basin claimed a 43 per cent share of the production, while 11 wells in the Campos Basin accounted for the remaining 57 per cent.

In February, average daily output reached 281,000 bpd, a 138 per cent increase against the same period last year.