You are here

Petrobras strikes oil in offshore Potiguar basin

18th December 2013

The first deep-water discovery has been made in the Potiguar basin off the Rio Grande do Norte coast

The basin is situated at the eastern side of the Brazilian Equatorial Margin (Source: ANP)
This basin is situated at the eastern side of the Brazilian Equatorial Margin (Source: ANP)

Petrobras said on Tuesday that it had come across an accumulation of oil in the BM-POT-17 block, in the Potiguar basin.

 

The discovery was made during drilling for the 1-BRS-A-1205-RNS (1-RNS-158) well known as the Pitu, at a depth of 1,731 metres and about 55 km off the Rio Grande do Norte coast.

 

The oil was discovered through profiles and fluid samples that will now be analysed in laboratory, Petrobras said in a statement.

 

Drilling has reached 4,197 metres and will continue to a depth of 5,028 metres.

 

Petrobras operates the BM-POT-17 block with an 80 per cent stake in a consortium with Portugal's Petrogal holding the remaining 20 per cent.

 

As part of a farm-out process, BP Energy do Brasil will become a partner in the block with 40 per cent, Petrobras will have 40 per cent and Petrogal retain 20 per cent.

 

The consortium will continue drilling the well, verify the extent of the new discovery and characterise the conditions of the reservoirs, the statement said.


Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/oilandgas/public_html/includes/common.inc:2791) in /home/oilandgas/public_html/includes/bootstrap.inc on line 1499

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/oilandgas/public_html/includes/common.inc:2791) in /home/oilandgas/public_html/includes/bootstrap.inc on line 1503

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/oilandgas/public_html/includes/common.inc:2791) in /home/oilandgas/public_html/includes/bootstrap.inc on line 1503

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/oilandgas/public_html/includes/common.inc:2791) in /home/oilandgas/public_html/includes/bootstrap.inc on line 1503
Petrobras strikes oil in offshore Potiguar basin | Oil and Gas Technology

Error

The website encountered an unexpected error. Please try again later.