You are here

Construction of South Stream in Serbia to start in several days

21st November 2013

Serbian section of 63 bcm gas pipeline will carry gas from Bulgaria to other countries in Europe

Construction of South Stream in Serbia to start in several days
Serbian section of South Stream gas pipeline. Copyright: Gazprom

Gazprom headquarters on Wednesday hosted a meeting between Alexey Miller, chairman of the company's management committee and Slavenko Terzic, Serbian ambassador in Russia to discuss preparation issues related to launching the construction of the South Stream gas pipeline in Serbia.

During the meeting, it was noted that all necessary preliminary procedures were completed and the construction of the first section would start as soon as this month, Gazprom said in a written statement. Both parties also addressed bilateral cooperation in the energy sector.

South Stream Serbia AG, a joint project company focused on the implementation of the South Stream pipeline in Serbia was created in November 2009. Serbia’s state-owned natural gas provider, Srbijagas, holds a 49 per cent stake in the company, while Gazprom holds the remaining 51 per cent.

South Stream is Gazprom's global infrastructure project aimed at constructing a gas pipeline with a capacity of 63 billion cubic meters across the Black Sea to Southern and Central Europe for the purpose of diversifying the natural gas export routes and eliminating transit risks.