You are here

Transocean accepts ruling on 2010 oil spill

05th September 2014

Transocean announced today that it has received and welcomes the decision by the US District Court on phase one of litigation related to the Macondo well incident involving the Deepwater Horizon.

Deepwater Horizon
Millions of gallons of oil was leaked into the Gulf of Mexico following the Deepwater Horizon blowout

Transocean Ltd said a US court ruling eliminates its financial risk for the underwater portion of a 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico after the judge found BP Plc grossly negligent. 

On Thursday, U. District Judge Carl Barbier ruled that BP was mostly at fault and that two other companies in the case, Transocean and Halliburton, were not as much to blame. The Court's finding means that the company is not liable for punitive damages. Transocean's remaining financial risk is for above-surface discharge of pollutants, if any, occurring during the initial two days of the spill.

Transocean had been accused of economising on maintenance, crew training and safety systems that contributed to blowout on the Deepwater Horizon well.

"This is a favorable and welcome ruling for Transocean, its employees, and all offshore drilling contractors," Chief Executive Officer Steven Newman said in statement.

BP has said that it strongly disagrees with US court decision on the Macondo incident

Related topics: 

Got a news tip? Email news@oilandgastechnology.net