You are here

German tools to spur Russian LNG development

19th September 2012

Yamal LNG to use BASF tech in LNG development, as industry experts call for Arctic projects to use gas production technology used in Russia

German tech to spur Russian LNG development
Innovative technology used in gas production projects in Russia could boost the recent wave of pioneering drilling projects in the Arctic region

Russian megaproject Yamal LNG will use technology from German chemical giant BASF for its ambitious LNG production development in the north of the country, it emerged on Monday.

The technology will be used for the removal of carbon dioxide from natural gas, a “prerequisite for the production of liquefied natural gas,” in the Yamal Peninsula, BASF said in a press release. The decision follows a license agreement between both firms.

The Yamal LNG project provides for the construction of an LNG plant with an annual output of over 15 million tonnes. Russian Novatek OAO owns an 80 per cent stake in Yamal LNG, with French Total holding the remaining 20 per cent.

Deputy chairman of Novatek OAO, A.M. Fridman described the application of natural gas treatment technology from BASF as “one of the most important design solutions” for the LNG project in the Yamal Peninsula.

The move comes hot on the heels of calls by industry experts on Monday for the technology used in gas production in Russia’s harsh regions to crossover into the exploration of the Arctic.

Got a news tip? Email news@oilandgastechnology.net